How cute are these mini pies roast!? Bring these to a any holiday party see people go crazy over them!
The recipe is greatly inspired by Hot for Food’s Holiday Roast. I generally follow the recipe but this time, I didn’t have all the ingredients on hand so I improvised. And it turned out tasting as good as the original recipe.
- Cranberry Apple Sauce:
- 1 cup frozen cranberries
- 1 apple, skin removed and cubed
- ¼ cup maple syrup, more if needed
- ½ cup water
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp nutmeg
- ¼ tsp ginger
- ¼ tsp all spice
- pinch sea salt
- Lentil mixture:
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 cup yellow onion, chopped
- 1 cup green lentils, cooked
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp sea salt & pepper
- pinch nutmeg
- ¾ C water (see note 1)
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- Sweet Potato mixture:
- 4 cups sweet potatos, cubed and cooked (about 3-4 small or 2 medium)
- 2 tbsp vegan butter
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- pinch of sea salt, nutmeg & ginger
- 1 pkg vegan puff pastry, thawed in the fridge for at least 3-4 hours (or according to packaging)
- muffin, tart or bread pan
- flour for rolling
- coconut oil ( to oil pan)
- To prepare the cranberry sauce: Mix all the ingredients in a pan. Cook on low-medium heat until cranberries become soft and the mixture resemble like a jam, about 20-30 mins.
- Sweet Potato Mixture:
- Once the potatoes are cooked, place in a bowl and add all the other ingredients. Mash until everything is incorporated.
- Lentil Mixture: Heat oil in medium pan on medium heat.
- Add the onion and cook for 5 mins.
- Add lentils, garlic and spices. Mix and cook for another 5 mins.
- Add the water and the cornstarch. Cook until the mixture thickens, about 5-7 mins.
- To assemble:
- Oil the pan you are using
- Flour the surface and roll out the dough if not already pre-rolled. See note 2.
- Add to pan and add filling. I started with the mashed potatoes on the bottom but I would recommend to use the lentil mixture as the potatoes made the dough a little too soggy.
- Bake at 375F for 20-30 mins, until the top is golden brown.
- Remove from oven and let cool for 20 mins before eating.
2. I used a muffin pan and used 2 (one small and one larger) upside down cup to cut the dough. The larger circle was used as the bottom dough and the smaller was for the top.
If you are using a tart pan, cut the dough in two. Roll out both dough as large as the pan. Place one over the pan and remove the excess. Place the other on top of filling.
If using the bread pan, roll the dough in a rectangular shape. Cut ⅔ of the dough for the bottom part. The other ⅓ will be for the top.